A Celebration of Heritage: Our Lady of Mercy Chapel
Mercy College of Detroit opened on September 24, 1941, the Feast of Our Lady of Mercy.
From the back of the picture card: “For over 60 years, the Chapel was a place to “be” with God. Because is was the Motherhouse of the Detroit Region of the Sisters of Mercy until 1966, all the Sisters gathered in the chapel four times a day for Mass, recitation of the Office, meditation and spiritual reading. Students often joined the sisters for the early morning Mass, and frequently throughout the day, Sisters, students and visitors would visit the Chapel for personal prayer and reflection. In the 40′s and ’50′s alumni often returned to campus on thier wedding days and the bide and groom would ask God’s blessing on their life together. The spirit of the Chapel, represented by the stained glass windows, will endure on the McNichols campus for future generations.”
The stained glass windows of Our Lady of Mercy Chapel were moved to the College of Health Professions facility on the McNichols campus after the campus on Outer Drive was sold and the Administration building taken down.