Before there was a UDMercy McNichols campus-some of the early residents and workers
Back in the early 1800′s, the site that is currently the McNichols campus of University of Detroit Mercy, was a swamp surrounded by tamaracks, willows and cranberry bushes. The land was drained and cleared to be converted into truck farms. These are some of the early residents and workers in the area before some of the land was purchased by Father McNichols for $120,000 back in 1921. Other sections of the campus were either gifted or purchased a bit later.